When moving mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007 or Exchaneg 2010 either from Exchange Management Console or Powershell using the move-mailbox or new-moverequest cmdlets the move operation might fail with the following error.
Active Directory operation failed on server.domain.com. This error is not retriable. Additional information:
Insufficient access rights to perform the operation.
Active directory response: 00002098: SecErr: DSID-03150A45, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [New-MoveRequest], ADOperationException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : 6C39B6E8,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks.NewMoveRequest
At first sight it looks like the user initiating the move mailbox doesn’t have enough rights to perform this operation, however that user can move other mailboxes just fine.
Here is how to solve the issue
- Open Active Directory Users and Computers
- From the View menu select “Advanced Features“
- Find the user causing the problem and right click properties
- Go to the Security Tab
- Then Click on Advanced
- Check the “Include Inheritable permissions from object’s parent“
- Issue the move mailbox operation again that should solve it